13 July 2012

INTEROPERABILITY IN AUDIO


Lighting has managed to do it since 1992 – pick your flavour of lighting control console, get the dimmers from another manufacturer and you know that they will talk to each other. It is called DMX - it works.
When is sound going to get their act together? I love the features on Console A, but hate their pre-amps, I want B’s stage rack and I want them to talk to each other. How difficult is that?
Is it really a technology thing, or are audio manufacturers scared of the competition? Do they really have to lock us into their product range to maintain market share?
Why can’t I specify A’s console at Front of House, B’s at Monitors and use C’s pre-amps? Let’s not even mention hooking in a Broadcast console…
I, and I suspect many others, don’t really care which protocol you settle on, MADI, AES-50, Dante or whatever, just decide and let us choose our equipment based on our needs, not on what you, as manufacturer, decides is best.
I only ask that you choose wisely, not like the SpeakOn, the only connector that does not have a male and female inline…really, what were you thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment